Saturday, October 5, 2019

An Old Friend

Andre and me having some coffee, catching up. Spoke the whole time in Russian which felt good. Im rusty, but still got it! :)

I was recently surprised by an old friend we knew form our time in Russia, Andre Derkach. Andre and I have known each other for almost 18 years, but have not seen each other since we left Russia. He showed up in Salem as he was traveling on a trip. It was so great to catch up and hear what God is doing in his part of the world. I remember praying over Andre and his team as they were going to plant a YWAM work in Armenia. the ministry there exists today, but Andre and his family were blacklisted so know he is back in Rostov-on-Dony in Russia.  One of the interesting things that came from our conversation is he invited me to come and speak on evangelism at the YWAM Western European conference this coming April, which will be in Minsk, Belarus. He then asked me if after that I would come down to the south of Russia to teach in one of his DTS's. So, all that being said, I ask your prayers for wisdom if I should do this. This is how YWAM works, very relationally. So though Andre invited me, that does not mean I have been invited as he has a team of people that he works with that plan things, etc..Sarah and I are contemplating maybe trying to make a "return to where you came from" trip for our 3 oldest, and maybe try and take them with us (Anders, Aidan, and Abigail) and travel back to St.Petersburg during our time in Russia to visit old friends, show the kids where "it all started". Prayers for wisdom appreciated. Ill keep you posted. the cost alone to do a trip like this would be huge, so we have to weigh out a lot of things. At the same time, what an amazing opportunity possibly to do ministry back in that area, and see old friends, and have the kids see where much of their younger life started! 

No comments:

Post a Comment